Monday 15 April 2013

Recently ...and a finished skirt

Roll up and see the unsuccessful photos! These are the best of a sorry bunch.  You will see Rocket Girl getting in the act too.  It has been school holidays for 2 weeks and one day and my attempts at recording my sewing and blogging were highly unsuccessful.  My attempts at entertaining three children of widely varying ages were slightly better.  I finished my Vogue 1247 skirt at the start of the holidays and have been wearing it a lot since then.  I was inspired by Solvi's red version . (Funnily enough Ali just posted about her Solvi jacket inspiration).   It feels very novel for me to sew a skirt that is NOT using the skirt block from the Sew U book. 

Fabric: A thrifted green fine green cord fabric that cost £2.50.  I bought it from the same charity shop as my floral cord and wondered if it had come from the same person's donations.  It is a very bright emerald green. 
Notions: The pattern calls for binding on the seams, I used some binding bought on ebay rather than attempt the task of self binding from corduroy.  That would be just daft, wouldn't it?  I used a thrifted green zip (cost 20p) from the same charity shop as the cord fabric.   

Sewing: I added about four inches in length when cutting out as I had been warned by other sewers that this skirt is short.  Then I had about a two inch hem.  The skirt went together easily, it was fun to follow a different construction method to my usual skirt making.
Verdict: I feel I have roadtested this skirt literally as I wore it to drive 200 miles with three kids and no other adults! It was comfortable for driving in and the pockets were a god-send for dropping car keys and coins into in a rush at the service station.  It gives me enough movability to run after the fast moving Rocket Girl and the bright green is cheerful.  It has withstood pizza making, playgrounds and easter egg hunts.  It is in the wash now but I plan to share picture of the inside soon.  Before I made the skirt I had thought it has one big front pocket but it in fact has two front pockets. 







Finally, I have to show you a peep of the wooden cabin we drove all that way to stay in.  Ahhhhhhh, it was fab, fab fab.  Holidays - what a great concept.

19 comments:

  1. Love the emerald green. I thought it was one kangaroo pocket too. It looks like a really good versatile skirt! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I ampleased I am not the only one who thought it was one big pocket! :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading the story of your emerald skirt! I like that it's made of thrifted elements but still looks so bright and new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the brightness is very cheering. x

      Delete
  3. I love that skirt, it looks great being such a bright colour and those extra inches are still in realms of short skirt, but so less self conscious!! You've got such a knack for spying neat fabric scoops in charity shops and transforming them into awesome clothes. I am reminded about how much I love that skirt and its pockets... I wear mine a lot...need a spring version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, you say such lovely things, thank you. I am thinking a denim version of this would be sweet...

      Delete
  4. By the way, dreamy holiday hut! I bet it was cosy and def worth a long drive, hope you had a great break x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fantastic cabin!! Also very cute baby:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic cabin, just the right size and cosy too.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great color! I really like this skirt-- it just seems so wearable, but also super fun. This is such a great example of why sewing is awesome-- you can make practical, well-fitting basics in awesome colors with thrifted materials! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your skirt the colour is lovely! I hope you all had a great time in the cabin! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, that color is delicious. Love the length you have chosen as well! You make me want to make another version too - denim sounds perfect! Oh, and thanks for the link! :-)

    The cabin looks wonderful, and that concept called holidays is a neat one, for sure! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so cute! I love the colour - it looks so cheerful :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. :) Sounds like the perfect skirt - awesome colour, moveability and pockets! I'm very jealous that you can find such lovely fabrics at your local 2nd hand.
    Holidays are definitely very awesome. And Rocket Girl is such a cutie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colour of that skirt, so bright and beautiful. And lovely cord too, I would be delighted to find such great fabric in a charity shop!

    ReplyDelete