Last week,I looked at my machine and realised the star shaped hole on the right of the top was an extra spool holder hole, a quick look at the accessories that came with the machine and I found a spool holder that fit in the hole. Cue me: "Ohhhhhh, that's what that's for". I only had my machine for three years before realising.
|The front faux pockets|
I chose to use two shades of blue, influenced by my friend's jeans. While chatting last week I was surreptitiously checking out her jeans and their two coloured top stitching. (Since starting this project, I keep checking other peoples' jeans for details and shape. I have been trying to do it without looking like a staring weirdo.) Threading the two threads was a bit fiddly as you have to ensure they don't twist and they want to twist! Then I had a practice go and was pleased I didn't have to fiddle with the tension as I had expected.
|The back with a yoke |
So I pressed on and sewed the faux front pockets and the back yokes. Next, is the patch pockets. But I was worrying about sizing so I decided I would first tack the jeans together to try them on. I wanted to make sure I had the size right before spending time on the details. I cut out a size 8 which I think equated to a UK size 10 but I am not too sure. I had followed Mary's tip of comparing the pattern to my usual RTW skinny jeans. The pattern looked big next to those especially on the legs. I cut out the 8. The front looked so tiny to me that I had to check I could squeeze into it. Answer: I could! The legs seem wide though and there are some fitting issues round the crotch. I am next going to unpick the tacking and carry on with the patch pockets and tackle the leg fit when I sew the leg seams for real.