Saturday 27 June 2015

FO: Sailor Top Stash Bust

You can't get much better than a simple stripey tee.  Easy to wear with some many things, bright and simple.  I love my striped shirts but have been lacking a short sleeved version for summer. And  sometimes it is good to have a quick project with simple straight seams and a satisfyingly fast end product.

Lovely Jessica sent me a piece of striped jersey last year.  It has a nice weight to it.  I love striped fabric (told you that already haven't I?) and I was delighted to receive it.  I'd thought of many ways to sew it but couldn't decide.  But I am trying to sew up my stash and the fact that I had this nice jersey unused was really starting to bug me.

 Finally I settled on Marilla Walker 's Sailor top. I liked Marilla's versions, especially the dress version but wasn't sure.  Then I was finally swayed by Helen of grosgraingreen's version. 


The pattern is a free pdf.  It is square shaped with a clever diamond gusset in the shoulders. The basic square shape reminds me  of sewing simple tops for dolls! I mean that in a nice way.
  It was easy to put together. I cut and stitched it in one evening while everyone else watched a film.  Snip, snip, sew, sew.
  I just managed to squeeze front, back and sleeves from my jersey piece. I didn't have enough striped fabric for the gussets so I used left over red rib from this dress.  I love  the little bright peep of red.  I also used some red ribbon to stabilise the neck on the inside.  

The final top is great for our on off summer. It's on a constant wearwash rotation at the moment. And just this morning I saw Jenna's Sailor top!  Now I feel a bit of serendipityis  in the air.  

Photo opp stolen by RG  

Trying to show the gusset
So, if you want a simple quick sew tee and like a blocky simple shape, I recommend you try the Sailor tee.  It's great for using up a small piece of jersey.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope all is good with you, so glad to hear from you. I'm guessing life is busy??x

      Delete
  2. It looks great! The gusset detail is lovely isn't it?! I really like that you've used red for yours. I just made one with plain fabric & a stripy gusset & need to blog it, it's been worn loads already too! It's a great summer top isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I agree it is a great summer top. I'd like a dress version too. I'm looking forward to seeing yours. Plain with striped gusset sounds fab. What's the collective noun for sailor tops, I wonder?

      Delete
  3. That is so very 'you'! I can see why it's in steady rotation. I love the red shoulders actually, it's a bit different and definitely very Seasalt!! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) Very sea salt, that's a great compliment!

      Delete
  4. Debbie!!! I LOVE this top. It's a perfect match for the stripey fabric, and the red inserts are genius :-). It looks eminently wearable ... and eminently YOU. So glad it's heavy in the rotation :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love this! It's really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You cannot get any better than stripes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I love this with the red detail! It's true you can't beat stripes and he pattern is kind of laughably simple really. Just goes to show what you can make with basic geometry ;-)

    ReplyDelete