Thursday 23 July 2015

A tale of two tops

Back in May  when I bought fabric for my birthday I planned to make a pair of cotton tops.  I had been eyeballing the Painted Roses tee in summer 2014 Ottobre for a long while.  It is a simple woven tee shirt.  Oh, how I thought I was so clever, filling wardrobe gaps with simple tops.

First up I made the tee shirt in grey dotted liberty fabric.  This fabric was inspired by a painting in the National Gallery.  It is called Melanie Atai and it is lovely.
But, but, but I cut out a 38 and although it fits okay on the bust it is too big on my shoulders.  I also put the sleeves in very messily.  I am torn now, I like the shirt but also think it looks like a 1980s building society uniform.  (It's in the shoulders)  I am cross with myself for my sloppiness.  I wore it a lot after making it but only with a cardigan on top, hiding my sleeves of shame. Now I have bit the bullet and begun unpicking those sleeves. I am a naturally careless sewer and it can take a huge amount of effort to slow down and take more care in my sewing. I know I should, I know I can but sewing seems to pull out my slipshod, hasty self. In part this is down to having only small snatched moments to sew in, so I rush to cram in as much as possible.

The Riley Blake geeky fabric was narrower so I had no room for sleeves. I went down a size and I am happier withthe fit, especially round the neck and on the shoulders.  I cut the back slightly longer and curved the hem.  I have been wearing this top frequently, it filled a wardrobe gap, replacing worn out holey tops.
So, my two woven tops have not been the instant success I expected. I need a bit of sewing calm and patience to get the grey top right. Insert laughter here, those are not abundant qualities in summer holidays. Anyone else feel their personal qualities are reflected in  their
sewing approach?

12 comments:

  1. I am exactly the same in my sewing. If I get to a tricky bit I tend to speed up and just whizz through it - usually with disastrous results!!! I love the glasses fabric and I'm sure you will get a lot of wear out of both tops. Try not to worry too much about the details and just enjoy them... loving the 1980's building society comment... must get myself a shaggy perm....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it is not just me! And ha ha - I am glad to say I escaped the eighties without ever having a perm! But you have given me a hilarious picture in my mind X

      Delete
  2. It'll be worth it, trust me. I didnt get the fit right in a top made from Liberty ( precious!) and therefore didn't wear it. The idea of unpicking is even worse! But once I got to grips with it, it took less time than I thought and now I'm wearing it lots. Building society uniform! Laugh!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't really thought about it before, but yes I think my personality does come out in my sewing! I am a massive deliberator/planner and I like to make things that are useful with the occasional, usually disasterous splurge of spontineiity! Your tops are the type I would wear happily all the time. I'm feeling it for the glasses print in particular, and who doesn't like a bit of 80's building society in their lives?! x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting, about you being a planner in life and in sewing. Hope all is good with you x

      Delete
  4. Both prints are really cute! I also hate unpicking, but it does give a nice sense of accomplishment, when an unloved garment is suddenly so much more wearable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you . I agree about the sense of accomplishment. x

      Delete
  5. I love that glasses print!! The top looks great on you. I sympathise re: summer holidays. Mine have SEVEN weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hear you loud and clear, we have seven weeks too! It is great but chaos and i struggle with the inter sibling fighting! x





      Delete
  6. They both look lovely!! And I understand how frustrating unpicking can be (causing projects to stall for months ... years ...) However, this summer I unpicked 3 sets of sleeves (two dresses + 1 blouse) and found it made the garments instantly 20x more wearable. It was less painful and more worthwhile than I'd imagined! I hope you find the same :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really good. I must unpick ,soon! X

      Delete