Monday 12 December 2011

Apples for teacher

I have not made many home made gifts this year but here are the few that I have done.

As well as Christmas on the horizon this is Little I's last week at her nursery before she starts primary school after Christmas.

I know I will cry when she has her last day, I cried when her brother left the same nursery! (Maybe I can blame it on hormones.) It feels like the end of a special time and even more so because after Christmas everything will change again. (I am not great with change, can you tell?)

We are very fortunate that our local nursery provision for 3 - 5 year olds is an outstanding Reggio based nursery where she has had an amazing time. Her brother also went there so we feel connected. He still remarks that he feels it is unfair that he cannot spend time there. I have to prise him out somedays when he comes to collect his sister as he quickly gets busy working with magnets or lights and mirrors.

So we have been making some leaving presents for the nursery teachers. It is hard to think what to make, they do get lots of tins of biscuits and chocolates at this time of year. There is an unspoken tradition there of giving a picture or storybook when you leave so it is a present to the nursery. We are doing that but also made some personal gifts.


We made a fabric covered journal for her headteacher. Little I drew on some calico and then I tortuously sewed it into a cover for an A5 notebook. It was quite quick to sew up but was a bit fiddly to insert the book at the end. The cover is fully lined with some scrap William Morris fabric, I tried unsuccessfully to get a picture of this.


Then I knitted a scarf for her main teacher. The variagated yarn is ribbon-like rather than wool. I bought it four years ago and can only remember that it was italian and from a lovely knitting shop. I trimmed the ends with some velvet ribbon. As the yarn is graduated in colours I decided to keep the actual knitting simple and plain to hopefully show off the colour changes. The embarassing truth here is that I bought the yarn four years ago when T was due to leave the nursery with the intention of making the self same teacher a scarf. Needless to say I ran out of time and never did make it. During my November declutter I emptied and sorted my knitting supplies and found this yarn. I decided it was too good to waste. The fact that I actually did make it this time means maybe I have become better at time management?













A recent obsession with Little I has been drawing her teacher's picture. I keep finding these pictures. She recently started drawing them on fabric with some fabric felt pens. I took a small one and sewed it up, filled with some wadding and added a brooch pin to the back as an extra present for her main teacher.










Finally T was set to work on saturday....her made this coaster for his class teacher from Ikea Pyssla beads. This is his teacher's first year of teaching so we decided she probably doesn't have a large enough collection of child-made gifts yet. He decided upon the pattern himself. I think it is reminiscent of a granny square. At age he can sit and do this kind of fine motor skills task (though not for too long) while his little sister tried for about ten minutes to copy him but then ended up having much more fun running her hands through the beads, spilling them everywhere to the point where I had to take her into another room.


That's about it apart from bulbs in a pot for the lady who provides snacks at the nursery...a very, very important person in Little I's world for the past year. Oh no, I mustn't cry on friday, I try and remember I am British, we don't do that kind of thing...do we?

9 comments:

  1. I love the little teacher brooch so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Don't cry yet! It's a big moment for you all so it's fine to cry, stuff the stiff upper lip! That's such a good idea with the book cover and brooch. Very impressed with your knitting too and of course, time management skills! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the handmade time this has all involved. The brooch is a great idea, and I bet the book cover will get plenty of use and be much appreciated. I say cry if you need to. It's part of being a mum! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brooch is so cute! What a great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, what cute little gifts! I especially like the brooch. Go you for knitting the scarf! The yarn looks very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pin and vote for tears as well. I still think about my boys preschool teachers. They were such a big part of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely, what lucky teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric-covered journal is terrific! Would you consider posting a tutorial some time (say in, oh, a year or so, when life is "calmer", ha) about how to do a sewn one? I have always wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so amazing to be doing all these home made gifts with everything else going on - AND six months pregnant. I always plan to do the home made thing but never do ...time hurtles from October onwards and then only a week to go.............
    Have a great week and take it easy!
    X.

    ReplyDelete