I was thinking about Tovas for about a year - then when the pattern was released as a pdf last year, I bought it. I planned to make a tova for so long it was almost anti climatic once I did. I printed the pdf off,carefully filed it away. So carefully that when I finally came to make it I couldn't find my print out so had to begin again. I finished my first tova blouse in March. I used some dark grey linen or linen blend from my mum's stash. My mum is unwell and can no longer sew. She was a formidably talented quiltmaker and since the late 1980s that was her passion. But, before that she also used to do dressmaking, knitting and lacemaking. Slowly, very slowly, each time I visit, I have been dismantling some of her stash, accrued over twenty years. I give some away to other sewers, donate some to charity and keep some to work with. I have a rule though that I have to USE these fabrics. I cannot bear to unearth one stash only to fill up another of my own.
There was only enough fabric to make the blouse not a dress version. The pattern went together straightforwardly. I followed the instructions mostly. I have worn the top a lot but find it really frustratingly hard to get a decent photo. The fabric creases a lot during the day and it is tricky to photo dark colours. The one adjustment I would like to make to the blouse is adding a couple of buttons to the placket. I wear it over a cami or vest currently as I don't like too much chest on show, plus the flappiness kind of irritates me.
Almost straight after finishing Tova no.1, I made a second. This time in a white polycotton with little flowers on. This came from my friend's clear out of her 93 year old mum's stash! It had sat in my stash for a year...time to move it on.