Tuesday 4 February 2014

FO: Raspberry Wool Crepe Anna Dress

I bought 2 metres of raspberry stepweave wool crepe on ebay about three years ago.  It languished in my stash as I was too scared to sew with it.  It was a glorious colour but too nice for my slapdash sewing I thought.  Last year I even put it back on ebay in an attempt to clear my stash but no one bought it!  By November last year I finally gained the courage to wash the fabric and using a special wool washing liquid it was fine.  Emboldened by this, I cut and sewed an Amy Butler Anna dress (pattern here). 
Previously, I have made this pattern in plain grey,







  green patterned as a top, in orange as a sundress and in red polka dot as a top!  I think I got my money's worth from this pattern!  


The new dress is fully lined with black and white polka dots.  The wool crepe hangs beautifully and the dress rustles when I walk.  For some reason this equates with being very grown up in my mind!  I am so very happy to have stashbusted this fabric.

 So now are you wondering why there's no picture of me wearing this dress?  Um, well, ridiculously, I am scared!  My daily life is so messy.  I need to gather courage and just wear it this week.  Does anyone else have me mades that feel too much like "best" to wear?


11 comments:

  1. Yes, I totally have things that just feel a little too nice for my life! But I hope you find an opportunity to wear this as it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing it today and photographing as I go along! I think you too should try wearing what feels too good to wear...if that makes any sense x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it lovely when you get a lot of use from one pattern? It always makes me feel so thrifty! Your new dress is gorgeous - a fabulous colour for our grey days! I haven't made anything too precious to wear yet (if only), I should consider it an achievement should that day ever come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like to get many uses from one pattern. As well as the thrifty aspect I am intrigued by how changes in fabric type etc can affect a finished garment. xx

      Delete
  3. Mmm, that is so lovely. I often find that I avoid wearing nice clothes because I don't feel up to the effort of acting well dressed and getting my clothes dirty, but it is definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigrid!!! How are you? Thank you for the comment....I am happy to hear from you. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bust it out - it launders! And I'm sure you look gorgeous in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks gorgeous, the raspberry is a fantastic colour! Go for wearing it, I bet it'll feel great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - that looks absolutely beautiful! I think it must look gorgeous on you ... share photos with us soon, dear :-). I think, because I work in an office, I sometimes use that as justification for shoehorning "nicer" garments into my daily wardrobe. Truthfully, in this new one, most people wear jeans! But I still wear my wool pencil skirts anyways, because, well, those I have (and pants I do not. Really. One pair has unbelievable holes and the other is 1 size too small, hahaha). But when I wasn't working, I found it hard to incorporate those nicer clothes. So, I totally hear you on the feeling - but maybe if you start you'll find that it gets easier? Or, we should have a virtual nice clothes wearing party sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! Can't wait to see the photos. Sadly I have no me made garments (or me mades that would fit..) but I did wear a dress today that I have been saving for "special occasions" Felt good!

    ReplyDelete