I finally completed my sheath dress for Summer Essentials Sewalong.
I cut this out at the end of May and it has taken ages due to me redoing the placket as it was wonky first time around and also being sidetracked by sewing cushions and my denim skirt. It is made from a charity shop sheet - I wanted to test out the pattern which is the basic sheath pattern from the Built by Wendy Dresses book. I also was trying not to spend too much money! After Me Made May I felt the need to make some plain block colour clothes even though I keep seeing lovely print dresses all over the place.
I trimmed it with Liberty print bias from Clothkits. I sketched out my idea for this dress in a notebook here (on right hand page), and I am pleased that I stuck to my idea and I like how it has turned out.
While making it I was having some second thoughts about whether a brown dress would automatically be too frumpy, but I guess it just depends how I wear it. I also redid the buttons - the first ones I put on were little brown flowers but they were too dull looking so I made fabric covered ones from the liberty trim. One of my favourite things is fabric covered buttons.
I did slightly mess up stitching in the zip as this is something I am not very practised at. I also lined the pockets and didn't quite manage to hide that fact when I sewed them onto the dress. I do like the shape of the dress but need to wear it for a few days to test it out.