Tuesday 5 July 2011

Presents and a finished object

Some time ago, well in May I think, I was lucky enough to get a parcel from Ms Scruffybadger. Not only is she am amazing sewer (her blog is having technical problems at the moment so,see her recent flickr) but she also happens to be a lovely person too! She had traced three japanese patterns for me. They are beautifully traced and labelled. There are two dresses and one top. Both dresses are so cute I can't decide which to make first. So I opted for the top!









This one (no.13) is an A line shift dress with raglan sleeves and two front patch pockets. It has a zip fastening at the back.


No. 12 is a sleeveless top with front gathers and bias binding on the neck and armholes.

I used this sunflowers cotton lawn. This is quite a bold and big pattern for me. I have to say if I had more money to spend, then I would use this fabric to make a beautiful summer dress. It was so fine I had to line the top in the interests of public decency! Looking around for some lining type fabric in my stash, I found two old muslin cloths which we used to use to mop up baby sick when the children were babies. They are clean now honestly. They are light enough to make a lining that doesn't change the way the top hangs. Each cloth was just big enough to form one piece of the lining. When finished the top was a bit too short for my liking so I sewed an extra band of unlined fabric on to the front and back. I left it open at the side seams (but hemmed) I am not sure what you call that...vents? The finished top is quite A line but I think it could be nice on a hot day. I was also considering its layering potential in the autumn. Thank you ScruffyB.

10 comments:

  1. Aren't you lucky! That top looks great! Can we have a picture of you modelling it or will we have to wait for Self Stitched September?

    Are those patterns really easy to follow? I've umm-ed and ahh-ed over those books for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how lovely! I've heard great things of those Japanese patterns. The top is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What a totally perfect fabric choice & I am so pleased that you have been able to make use of a pattern. Cannot wait to see it modelled. Now as for the lining, that is a canny Thrifty 365 if ever I saw one - good recycling!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a great fan of Japanese patterns and don't think they are as hard to do as you might imagine initially.These look lovely and have a go at some more.I have the feminine wardrobe book if you would like to borrow it.
    Big "Yay for Scruffybadger too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful top...i love the material x

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect fabric choice, this looks so nice and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fabric is absolutely beautiful. Would look lovely with a co-ordinating blue cardi (my inner stylist piping up hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting! There always seems to much potential in Japanese patterns - so simple and yet...
    The dress looks very "you"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! Those Japanese patterns always fill me with envy -- and that top looks beautiful, that wonderful mix of simple and distinctive (with the great fabric!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous little top! I am a big fan of Japanese pattern books too, I like the way the patterns are printed on paper and the illustrated instructions are incredibly clear and so easy to use...

    ReplyDelete